The Most Important Thing
To Be Doing Right Now

Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Importance of a bike ride...

In several email conversations with a friend, Mike Wargo, who teaches at a university in Germany, we have talked of the importance of doing something to help make this world a better place, but with a surplus of negative news going around, and conditions being as bad as they are in so many places, and with little to no good news on the horizon, what could one individual possibly do?

We discussed so many options, but which is "The Most Important Thing" to be doing right now? How would a person decide what is The Most Important Thing to be doing right now?

It's a weighty question. I'm thinking that there are other people out there who seek an answer. Maybe they will find this, make comments, and working together we can figure it out.

Have patience
with everything unresolved in your heart
and try to love the questions themselves...

Rainer Maria Rilke

The first thing I noticed in my determination to get to the answer to this great question is that there are not a lot of references to it. Google and GoDaddy show that there is no TheMostImportantThingToDo.com nor are there many variants of that eternal question. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know the answer.

For guidance in finding the answer, I turn to one of my favorite philosophers, who says:


The greatest challenge to any thinker is
stating the problem
in a way that will allow a solution.

Bertrand Russell


Well, I'm not sure that I have stated the problem properly, but it is a start, and that's what counts. Nothing happens without starting.

So I decided it was time that someone, even if it's only me, addressed the issue squarely: What is the most important thing to do, right now? Certainly, I want to know the answer for me, personally, to guide my own actions. However, in finding that answer I may find something bigger, and that is a System for finding the answer, so that I may find the answer again for myself when I get off the path, and so that others can apply the system and find the answer for themselves.

A funny thing happened on the way to finding the answer. I had just signed up for several domain names (URLs) and started this blog, but had not yet typed the first word, and the phone rang. Good friend Mark wanted to take advantage of the perfect weather to get some exercise and suggested we load our bikes into his truck and head south to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach for an epic bike ride and lunch. And so, this was my first challenge: should I go play, or should I stay focused on the burning question? Or, was it a sign that the most important thing is to go play!

I chose play. I figured that, surely, at some point The Most Important Thing Right Now would be to enjoy spending quality time with friends. There is a sign over my door, done in calligraphy, with some great words which have guided me and reassured me for many years: "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time". The words are by songwriter James Taylor. The sign was a gift from Maureen Gallagher, a girlfriend from 30 years ago. Imagine! Her gift has stayed a big part of my life for 3 decades, but I haven't seen her in almost as long. It's amazing how we have big, yet unknown, effects on the lives of people around us.

It was a great ride. I survived to continue this project, this inquiry, this discovery of The Most Important Thing To Be Doing Right Now.

1 comment: